Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Red Ring of Death: Day One

Today, June 3, 2008, at 8 PM PST, I was playing Call of Duty 4 on my Xbox 360, which I purchased from Amazon.com on September 2, 2007, when the game froze approximately 10 minutes into my session.

This wasn't the first time I had experienced this issue so I wasn't too concerned. I powered my Xbox down as I had in the past, and then powered it back on.

Upon powering on the Xbox the second time, I saw the Red Circle of Death. I tried this a few more times with no improvement until I finally did a quick Google search to learn more.

I followed Microsoft's troubleshooting advice before submitting a Service Request Order.

Now, I'll wait while Microsoft ships me a package which I can then use to return my device to them for free.

So far, my biggest frustration is that I'll be without my Xbox for ~3 weeks while I wait for Microsoft to repair a device I purchased for $449.99 less than 9 months ago.

I also learned that although my Xbox was purchased on September 7th and received shortly thereafter, the warrenty expires on August 24, 2008 at 7:59:59. Perhaps I should be glad my product faultered so quickly. If not, the red ring of death would likely cost me money in addition to time and inconvenience.

Let's see how it goes.

3 comments:

Wyliemoney said...

Wow. It is lame that they don't just send you a refurbished xbox right away. When you pay that much for an item, you have a right to expect better. Maybe it is time for a wii?

Unknown said...

you know that they extended the red circle of death warrenty for three years dont you?

yah go wii on their shoes.

David Jones said...

I didn't realize that because it did not indicate that in my account. It only indicated that my warranty expired in August.